Sunday, January 30, 2005

And/Or Awards

The nominations for the 2004 Razzie Awards, celebrating the worst Hollywood has to offer, came out a few days ago. Unlike the Oscars, the nominees were actually quite predictable, with Catwoman taking the most nominations followed closely by Alexander. As much as I fully endorse more attention on the crap coming out of Hollywood, I have to saw I think it's a bit unfair nominating Superbabies: Baby Geniuses 2, since that movie was probably about as good as anyone behind it intended. I don't think the same could be said of Surviving Christmas.

My favorite nominations has to be for the directors of the two different versions of "Exorcist 4: The Beginning" that came out this year (one in theaters and one direct to DVD), both of which apparently sucked. The nomination for best director went to "Renny Harlin and/or Paul Schrader." Something about an award going to "and/or" is highly amusing to me.

Poking around the Razzies site, I have to say that I'm a bit disappointed to find out that the way to vote for the Razzies is to pay to become a member. I'm sure this sounds stupid, but I actually think it's important enough to recognize awfulness in pop culture that the awards process should have some integrity to it. That being said, if I were to become a member, I would definitely join at the "Berry Important Member" level.

No comments: