Friday, January 28, 2005

Why I'm a stick

Fact #1: I'm a skinny guy. 6'4" and 180 or 185 depending on the day. For those of you not used to the proportions of people in the top percentiles of height, that's not sickly skinny, but it's slim.

Fact #2: I'm a fidgety guy. I can't sit still. I'm often twisting my fingers, moving my toes, taking my watch off and on, etc. This has only become worse since I started wearing a thumb ring, which I take off and toss around, then put back on, at least 5 times a day.

Why am I telling you these unrelated facts? Because it turns out they are actually very related. New research shows that the best way to stay in shape is to fidget. It actually makes you even more likely to lose weight than working out. So the next time you're annoyed at someone like me who can't keep still during a conversation or meal or movie, keep your mouth shut. We're working out.

No comments: