Thursday, February 03, 2005

Not blogging is so freeing

I rarely find Glenn Reynolds' commentary on Instapundit worthwhile for any reason beyond a good insight into that particular brand of snarky and arrogant center-right commentary so prevalent on blogs. But I really agree with part of this post in which he talks about the burden of blogging:

There are two downsides to blogging. One is that it can fill up your time, one five-minute chunk after another. The other -- much worse -- is that it forces you to pay attention to the news, which is usually depressing, infuriating, or frightening, or some combination of all three.


That summarizes quite well the intense feeling of relief I had when we finally ended Spinsanity. As proud as I am of the work we did there, I was exhausted. Not only from writing for it several times a week, but to a large extent from having to follow the news so closely. Spinsanity, quite simply, made me sick of politics. It has been so much fun in the past few months to only pay attention to politics when I feel like it. Sometimes I go a few days without reading the news at all. And when I feel about it, like the SOTU or Kerry's interview on Meet the Press Sunday, I pay some attention.

It's just not my job anymore. I can free my mind to think about other things. Even more trivial things. Which is weird, because I used to be this total politics nerd who followed it intensely. Which probably explains why even though I have acted like a typically apathetic 20-something for the past few months, I was able to identify most of the senators who appeared on screen during the SOTU last night, much to my girlfriend's amusement.

It's odd that Spinsanity has made me so politically apathetic, I suppose. But after nearly four years of spending much of my free time on a website and book I think were vaulable contributions to the political discourse, I figure I deserve to be a slacker for a while.

No comments: