Friday, January 27, 2006

I go off message in an interview

A colleague just pointed out that I was quoted extensively in an online Newsweek article about "Brokeback Mountain's" success last week. It's a little funny to realize that, like all interviewees, I wasn't incredibly disciplined about what I said, though usually I'm the one doing the interviewing, not the other way around.

I was just surprised to see myself quoted in the following way:

Fritz says that even if it does not win a best-picture Oscar, "Brokeback" is likely to become a "cultural touchstone, that we look back on in five or 10 years as an important film."

I'm pretty sure I did say that, at least in an off handed way, and I do believe it, so it's not an unfair quote. But of course I'm a box office reporter, not a film critic. So while my other two quotes derive from my authority as something of an expert, this sounds (to me) like someone talking out his ass. I guess I'm just not sure why anyone else in the world cares that Ben Fritz thinks "Brokeback Mountain" will be a cultural touchstone in 5 or 10 years.

I just hate to see myself quoted in a way that I might make fun of as a reader. I guess the lesson is that it's really hard to stay "disciplined" and "on message" as an interviewee. I guess I have a newfound respect for Scott McLellan.

No comments: