Sunday, March 12, 2006

Worst Best Picture Ever

I think that "Crash's" victory at the Oscars may go down as the greatest travesty in the Academy's 78 year history. Not just because "Brokeback Mountain" is certainly one of the greatest films of the past 10 or 20 or more years and people will look back in disbelief that it lost in a few years.

But I don't know of any best picture winner in the past that was so objectively awful and phony. I know I've never walked out of a movie hating it and then seen it go on to win the biggest award in the industry. Mind boggling.

Other people have described just how awful "Crash" is, and why this victory is a tragedy, much better than I. For a really smart take on why "Crash" is such a phony look at life in Los Angeles, read this column and this column by LAT writer Steve Lopez. And for a smart, if too modest, take on the Oscar travesty, read this letter to (the mind bogglingly in love with "Crash") Roger Ebert by my friend and "Movieline" editor Geoff.

And if you're dying to know MY reaction -- as the world surely is -- I expressed it in this satirical article for Dateline Hollywood. ("Hollywood Proves it's not Racist.")

2 comments:

Brady Westwater said...

Just found you from FISHBOWLLA. Any chance you can join Claude full time and cover Michael's old beat? I know your Variety gig is covering Claude's world - but your other work more than qualifies you for for MS's old slot.

metrichead said...

I've now watched both "Crash" and "Brokeback Mountain." I dunno, I say it's about even.