Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Cyberliberties meets civil liberties

I didn't get around to blogging about this last week when I was busy "guest hosting" another blog for pay, but I can't let this week old BoingBoing post go by without comment.

I have to admit up front that I feel kind of bad poking fun at BB, however gently I'm doing it. I really like the blog, one of the editors is a friend of mine, and I often agree with the site's pro-"cyberliberties" political leaning.

But it's not surprising that a political movement (and associated blog) focused on the rights of consumers of digital media (surely one of the most oppressed groups in our nation's history) might be somewhat elitist, however unintentionally and innocently, as this post hilariously demonstrated:

Tom spotted this DC license plate, reading BLK DRM. He thinks it's an anti-DRM lobbyist's plate, which is plausible, though with the acronym soup in Washington, it could stand for just about anything. Link (Thanks, Tom)


OK, BB, I'm with you so far. That's kind of weird, but interesting. Oh, wait. Some readers have written in with an... alternative interpretation of the license plate:

Update: Thanks to everyone who wrote to say that this probably stands for "Black Dream."


There really is something funny about the idea that there's a population of liberal, or at least libertarian, political activists who see a license plate that says "BLK DRM" in Washington, DC, which probably has the highest proportation of African-Americans of any area with its own license plate, and immediately think of blocking DRM, rather than the "Black Dream." (I fully admit I didn't immediately know it meant "Black Dream" either, though I didn't think about it for very long)

No comments: