Friday, September 29, 2006

More straight talk from George W.

Brendan flags an all-time great George W. Bush quote today, though I have to admit I had a different reaction to it:

We are a nation at war. I wish I could report differently, but you need to have a President who sees the world the way it is, not the way somebody would hope it would be.


Brendan accurately points out that if Bush really sees the world the way it is, he sure doesn't tell us about it very often.

But here's my question. "We are a nation at war. I wish I could report differently..." Ummm, Mr. President, the main war most of our troops are fighting is one that you started and from which you refuse to withdraw. Perhaps those are wise decisions, but you obviously wish that we were at war, since you started one and you actively choose not to end it.

And then to say that you "see the world the way it is, not the way somebody would hope it to be." Wait, what was one of the primary reasons we invaded Iraq (especially now that we know there are no WMD and barely any connection to al qaeda)? What have you said on the topic? Oh, right: "The establishment of a free Iraq at the heart of the Middle East will be a watershed event in the global democratic revolution."

Why, it's almost like we're at war in Iraq because you look at the Middle East the way you "hope it would be," rather than "the way it is."

If I didn't know President Bush to be a consistently honest man, I would find this confusing.

No comments: