Thursday, June 07, 2007

The Hollywood liberal machine at work

I'm just finishing sorting all the email that arrived while I was away getting married and on my honeymoon, and this is one I really have to share with the world. It came from a relatively well known character actress -- someone you'd probably recognize if you saw, but unless you're a big film fan, I doubt you know her name.

Somehow, I got on her e-mail list for various liberal causes. They're always amusing, but this one is great. Basically, if you want to get on the phone and chat with presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich, he's up for it. Hell, he'll even call you, to save you the long distance charges!

Dear Friends,

As you may know, I wholeheartedly support Congressman Dennis Kucinich for President of the United States in 2008.

After hearing all the candidates speak, and personally talking with the "top contenders", I now am committed doing everything I can to alert my friends, that if you have a moment to speak with Dennis, you will understand that because:

[reasons why Dennis Kucinich is great]

Dennis has asked me to give him phone numbers of my pals, so that he can make a personal call to you, in order to hear your concerns, and answer your questions. Forty years in politics, and being in touch with his feminine side, gives Dennis a distinct advantage to truly change direction in our beloved country...

If you are interested in participating in the 2008 elections, and wish to talk with Dennis personally, please send me one of your phone numbers, and I will pass it on to him.


For the record, while Kucinich is too liberal for my tastes, I think he's a respectable candidate who deserves to be taken seriously (unlike, say, Mike Gravel). But I tend to think it's not the best sign for a campaign when you've got enough time you can make personal phone calls to anybody thinking of supporting you (even if the offer only applies to Hollywood types who might be a little more useful in publicity and fund raising).

Also, while I hate to rain on the far left's parade, I'm thinking it's probably not the best idea to publicly advertise that a candidate is "in touch with his feminine side." Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the reality is that this campaign is not being run amongst feminist activists in 1970.

No comments: