Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Living every angry Xbox 360 owner's dream

I wouldn't wish the notorious red ring of death on anyone. Especially if, like me, the Xbox 360 isn't only your primary videogaming console, it's also your DVD player that you have hooked up to your surround sound stereo system.

But an abnormally high percentage (25%? 33%?) of Xbox 360's are experiencing this serious defect, which is why Microsoft took a $1 billion-plus write off and extended the 360 warranty to three years to correct the problem.

However, if it's going to happen, I have to say that my situation is ideal. One of my jobs is covering the videogame industry for Variety. My 360 broke down with the red ring of death tonight. Coincidentally, tomorrow is the day before the opening of the annual E3 videogame conference. In preparation, I will be interviewing both Peter Moore, corporate VP of Microsoft's interactive division, AND Robbie Bach, president of Microsoft's entertainment & devices division.

Suddenly, I have a new line of questions I'm very eager to ask them.

I'm sure I'm not the first 360 owner who would like to ask Peter and Robbie a few questions the day after his or her console breaks down with the red ring of death. But I bet I'll be the first person ever to actually live that dream.

No comments: