Wednesday, January 30, 2008

"9-1-1, What is your emergency?" "My doll is dying." "We'll be right there, sir."

Maybe I'm not the best candidate to enjoy "Lars and the Real Girl," a sickeningly sweet fantasy about a town full of people who have nothing else to do but enable a delusional loner's fantasy that a full-size doll is his girlfriend.

But, honestly, things take place in this movie that belie the basic rules of modern society. If you're making a film that takes place in the real world, how can you expect anyone to buy that when someone calls 9-1-1 because he believes his doll-girlfriend is dying, EMTs would attach a respirator and drive the doll to the hospital in an ambulance. Isn't that, like, a grossly irresponsible (not to mention expensive) use of medical resources? I'd love to see the insurance claim for that. And isn't it illegal to call 9-1-1 if you don't have an emergency involving a real human being?

Furthermore, and this is just a piece of advice from me to the women of the world: If you have a friend who is planning to date said delusional loner just as soon as his doll "dies," tell her to re-think the qualities she looks for in a man. That guy is probably not going to be the best life partner. Even if he's no longer dating the doll, he probably has a few more issues he needs to work out before he's ready to be in a relationship with a living breathing woman.

I know, I know, I'm a stickler for tiny little details. But I'm just saying.

2 comments:

TheGreenMan said...

Just saw it this weekend and I agree completely. I understood what they were trying to do, but it was just fucked up. WHY would Kelli Garner go out with Ryan Gosling? WHY?! I don't care how lonely she is...join JDate, but don't don't date the DOLL GUY! I spent the first hour of the movie wondering if Gosling was supposed to have some sort of retardation...actually, I'm still not sure. I know lots of people whose parents died when they were young and they are not like that at all.

R.D. Thompson said...

LOL...

Yes this DOES seem a bit odd to me :)

Where did you find my blog? I see that you and I are clearly on different pages but I am quite interested to know how you came by it. Do you know someone I know? Does it show up in some Google search?

I appreciate your input and your readership...even if it's to harpoon me! Maybe you'll help to keep me balanced!